How Do You Clean A Lennox System’s Evaporator Coil?
What Do Evaporator Coils Do?The function of an evaporator coil is simple: they take the heat from inside the house and dump it outside. They are present in both heating and cooling systems. With use, these coils can easily get clogged up with dirt and dust from the air. This will reduce the efficiency of your AC and may cause other problems. If your AC is giving out warm air, it is an indication that the evaporator coils need cleaning. It is recommended that you keep the coils clean to ensure high Indoor Air Quality and low bacterial growth. So, how do you clean these coils?
Method To Clean Evaporator Coils?Follow these eleven steps to clean your evaporator coils:
- Turn off the power to the entire unit.
- Remove the outer door or covering of the air conditioner to expose the evaporator coils.
- Inspect the coil to determine how dirty it is. Most coils have grease and dirt build-up which block the airflow.
- You may also find dirt collected below the coils. Use a small brush or piece of paper to remove this debris.
- Once you’ve collected the dust, use a brush to remove any excess dirt that is caked onto the coils. Place cardboard below the coil to collect the dust.
- When you’re brushing, make sure to use a stiff brush and only brush in the direction of the fins.
- Generously spray a cleaner onto the coils and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Depending upon the type of cleaner you use, you may need to rinse out the cleaner using water.
- Repeat Steps 7 & 8 until you notice the cleaner is no longer removing any dirt. Typically, this may take 2-3 times.
- Inspect the coil to make sure that it is finally clean. You should also check whether any of the fins are bent or broken. If bent, you can use a straightener to straighten them again.
- Remove the cardboard you used to collect the dust and debris and replace the cover.
Need Professional Assistance? Schedule a Virtual Zoom Service Call With Us
*No guarantee that the issue can be resolved over zoom, if the issue cannot be resolved you will receive a $25 off discount on an in person service call if you are within our service area