How Do You Clean A Lennox System’s Evaporator Coil?
When you contact an ac service in Springboro for your AC tune-up before the summer, make sure you ask them to pay extra attention to the evaporator coils in your AC. These are the hidden parts responsible for maintaining temperature.
What Do Evaporator Coils Do?
The function of an evaporator coil is simple: they take the heat from inside the house and dump it outside. They are present in both heating and cooling systems. With use, these coils can easily get clogged up with dirt and dust from the air. This will reduce the efficiency of your AC and may cause other problems. If your AC is giving out warm air, it is an indication that the evaporator coils need cleaning.
It is recommended that you keep the coils cleaning to ensure high indoor air quality and low bacterial growth. So, how do you clean these coils?
Method To Clean Evaporator Coils?
Follow these eleven steps to clean your evaporator coils:
- Turn off the power to the entire unit.
- Remove the outer door or covering of the air conditioner to expose the evaporator coils.
- Inspect the coil to determine how dirty it is. Most coils have grease and dirt build-up which block the airflow.
- As often, you may also find dirt collected below the coils. Use a small brush or piece of paper to remove this debris.
- Once you’ve collected the dust, use a brush to remove any excess dirt that is caked onto the coils. Place cardboard below the coil to collect the dust.
- When you’re brushing, make sure to use a stiff brush and only brush in the direction of the fins.
- Generously spray a cleaner onto the coils and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Depending upon the type of cleaner you use, you may need to rinse out the cleaner using water.
- Repeat Steps 7 & 8 until you notice the cleaner is no longer removing any dirt. Typically, this may take 2-3 times if you’re regular with your maintenance.
- Inspect the coil to make sure that it is finally clean. You should also check whether any of the fins are bent or broken. If so, you can use a straightener to straighten them again.
- Remove the cardboard and reassemble all parts.
While these eleven steps make the process sound very simple, it is anything but. This process should never be done with the power on. Typically, we also recommend keeping the air conditioner turned off for a few hours after the cleaning to make sure the water has time to dry out. This will stop the AC from short-circuiting.
If you notice that many of the fins on the evaporator coils are broken, don’t try to solve the issue by yourself. Instead, find a contractor for AC repair in Springboro. We recommend contacting Comfort Solutions. They have over 40 years of experience in providing HVAC services and can easily solve this problem for you. You can find out more information about their services on their website https://www.comfort-solutions.net/about-us/ or by calling (513)932-7200 or (513)396-7200.